On this page, I’ve collected a list of current or forthcoming publications. For works-in-progress and more detailed information about each of the monographs, see my research page.
- The Story of Sacrifice: Ritual and Narrative in the Priestly Pentateuchal Source. Forschungen zum Alten Testament. Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 2020.
- The Consuming Fire: The Complete Priestly Source, From Creation to the Promised Land. World Literature in Translation. Berkeley; Los Angeles: The University of California Press (in press, expected 2023; edition with Hebrew text in 2024).
Peer Reviewed Articles
- “Challenging a Priestly Credit Theology: A New Translation of Niphal חשב,” Catholic Biblical Quarterly, 84.2 (2022): 183–201.
- “Sanitized Sacrifice in Aramaic Levi’s Law of the Priesthood,” Journal of Ancient Judaism 3 (2020): 1–26.
- “The Idea and Study of Sacrifice in Ancient Israel,” Religion Compass, e12380 [Early View online], 2020.
- with Candida Moss, “The New Jerusalem: Wealth, Ancient Building Projects, and Revelation 21–22,” New Testament Studies 66 (2020): 351–366.
- “Ritual Sequence and Narrative Constraints in Lev 9:1–10:3,” Journal of Hebrew Scriptures 17 (2017): 1–35.
- “The Composition of Numbers 32: A New Proposal,” Vetus Testamentum 63 (2013): 408–432. Available here or request a PDF by email:
“Sidebar: Ritual and Narrative in Leviticus,” Harper Collins Study Bible, 3rd Edition (New York: Harper Collins, forthcoming).
“Misplaced Places: Redaction and the Priestly Wilderness Itinerary” in Untitled Festschrift, ed. Joel Baden and Jeffrey Stackert (Tübingen, Mohr Siebeck, forthcoming/expected 2022).
“The Literary Representation of Sacrifice in Biblical Narrative,” in New Perspectives on Ritual in the Biblical World, ed. Laura Quick and Melissa Ramos (London: Bloomsbury T&T Clark, forthcoming/expected 2022).
“Adaptation to the Story World: a Response to Nathan MacDonald,” Ancient Jew Review, February 14, 2022. https://www.ancientjewreview.com/read/2022/2/2/adaptation-to-the-story-world
“Scapegoat,” Bible Odyssey, May 6, 2020. https://www.bibleodyssey.org/passages/related-articles/scapegoat
“Dissertation Spotlight: Story and Sacrifice: Ritual, Narrative, and the Priestly Source,” Ancient Jew Review, March 6, 2019. http://www.ancientjewreview.com/articles/2019/3/6/dissertation-spotlight-story-and-sacrifice-ritual-narrative-and-the-priestly-source
“Gad and Reuben Receive Land in the Transjordan: A Documentary Approach,” TheTorah.com, July 11, 2018. https://thetorah.com/gad-and-reuben-receive-land-in-the-transjordan-a-documentary-approach/
- “Dissertation Spotlight: Story and Sacrifice: Ritual, Narrative, and the Priestly Source,” Ancient Jew Review, March 6, 2019.
- “On the State of Pentateuchal Criticism,” Ancient Jew Review, November 30, 2014.