On this page, I’ve collected a list of current or forthcoming publications. For works-in-progress and more detailed information about each of the monographs, see my research page.
- The Story of Sacrifice: Ritual and Narrative in the Priestly Pentateuchal Source. Forschungen zum Alten Testament. Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 2020.
- The Consuming Fire: The Complete Priestly Source, From Creation to the Promised Land. World Literature in Translation. Berkeley; Los Angeles: The University of California Press (in press, expected 2023; edition with Hebrew text in 2024).
Peer Reviewed Articles
- “Rethinking the Place of the Pentateuch in Late Persian and Hellenistic-era ‘Priestly’ Literature,” Journal of Ancient Judaism 13.3 (2022): 257–284.
- “Challenging a Priestly Credit Theology: A New Translation of Niphal חשב,” Catholic Biblical Quarterly, 84.2 (2022): 183–201.
- “Sanitized Sacrifice in Aramaic Levi’s Law of the Priesthood,” Journal of Ancient Judaism 3 (2020): 1–26.
- “The Idea and Study of Sacrifice in Ancient Israel,” Religion Compass, e12380 [Early View online], 2020.
- with Candida Moss, “The New Jerusalem: Wealth, Ancient Building Projects, and Revelation 21–22,” New Testament Studies 66 (2020): 351–366.
- “Ritual Sequence and Narrative Constraints in Lev 9:1–10:3,” Journal of Hebrew Scriptures 17 (2017): 1–35.
- “The Composition of Numbers 32: A New Proposal,” Vetus Testamentum 63 (2013): 408–432. Available here or request a PDF by email:
Essays in Edited Volumes
“Misplaced Places: Redaction and the Priestly Wilderness Itinerary” in Untitled Festschrift, ed. Joel Baden and Jeffrey Stackert. Tübingen, Mohr Siebeck, forthcoming.
“The Literary Representation of Sacrifice in Biblical Narrative,” Pages 183–197 in New Perspectives on Ritual in the Biblical World, ed. Laura Quick and Melissa Ramos. London; New York: Bloomsbury T&T Clark, 2022.
Invited Essays and other writings
with Annette Yoshiko Reed, “Sirach” (Introduction, notes, excurses), Westminster Study Bible (Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox, forthcoming).
“Sidebar: Ritual and Narrative in Leviticus,” Harper Collins Study Bible, 3rd Edition (New York: Harper Collins, forthcoming).
“Adaptation to the Story World: a Response to Nathan MacDonald,” Ancient Jew Review, February 14, 2022. https://www.ancientjewreview.com/read/2022/2/2/adaptation-to-the-story-world
“Scapegoat,” Bible Odyssey, May 6, 2020. https://www.bibleodyssey.org/passages/related-articles/scapegoat
“Dissertation Spotlight: Story and Sacrifice: Ritual, Narrative, and the Priestly Source,” Ancient Jew Review, March 6, 2019. http://www.ancientjewreview.com/articles/2019/3/6/dissertation-spotlight-story-and-sacrifice-ritual-narrative-and-the-priestly-source
“Gad and Reuben Receive Land in the Transjordan: A Documentary Approach,” TheTorah.com, July 11, 2018. https://thetorah.com/gad-and-reuben-receive-land-in-the-transjordan-a-documentary-approach/
- “On the State of Pentateuchal Criticism,” Ancient Jew Review, November 30, 2014.